Volunteers are a vital part to rescue, as well to the dog’s well being while at the shelter. It only takes a few hours of your time yet the rewards are endless.
As the ACC admits, due to the lack of staff and volunteers, the dogs do go DAYS without being let out of their cagesfor walks and playtime. This causes stress and is not healthy for the dogs. Rescues are also always looking for volunteers to assist with transporting dogs, helping out at adoption events, reviewing applications and fostering dogs that they have already pulled.
Please consider volunteering today. Even if it is just one or two days a week, it will mean everything to the dogs that were lucky enough to know you.
To Volunteer with a Rescue Group:
Please visit the rescue page and contact them for more information.
To Volunteer with AC&C:
AC&C’s volunteer program is vital to our shelters here in New York City. Our volunteers are making a huge impact in many areas of our operations. They assist in the care and placement of the animals housed in our shelter, educate the public and provide support for administrative programs.
AC&C is always looking for volunteers with special skills and an interest in working with and for our animals. If you love animals and like working with people, consider volunteering in our program. Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
STEPS TO BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation…
- Orientations provide an important overview of our organization; give specific information on our volunteer programs, training classes, and additional volunteer requirements.
- Submit an application…
- You will receive an application at the orientation session. You can hand it in at the orientation or return it to the Volunteer Department at any time.
- Interview with the Volunteer Coordinator…
- Only people that have been contacted will be scheduled for an interview. Not everyone that attends an orientation will be asked to interview. We may not have a need for your particular skills or your availability may not be what we are looking for at the time. We keep all applications on file for three months. If there is a position that comes available someone from the Volunteer Department will contact you. There is a wide array of volunteer opportunities available at AC&C. During the interview you and the Volunteer Coordinator or designated representative will decide the area in which you will volunteer and establish your availability. The $25.00 application fee is due at this time. You will also receive your volunteer t-shirt and have your photo taken for your ID.
- Participate in assigned training…
- Training will be specific to your chosen area of service.
- Schedule a staff or volunteer shadow appointment…
- Shadowing a staff member or a volunteer mentor will help you understand first hand the work you will be doing.
- Begin your regular weekly scheduled volunteering!
For more information, please email [email protected].
Also visit http://nycacc.org/howtovolunteer.html